Sunday, April 5, 2009

Gordon C. German

As I continue to think on the things that have helped me to become quieter in my life my maternal grandfather Gordon C. German, who I was named after, comes to mind. He lived two towns (about 3 miles) away from me the whole time I was growing up. Grandparents in general ought to be a picture of grace in our lives but my grandfather was much more than that. I think parents should raise children and grandparents ought to enjoy grandchildren. Parents raise, grandparents enjoy. I certainly felt enjoyed by grandparents. I can remember how they always had candy (Charms and Peppermints) in the bottom right corner drawer of their hutch or when I slept over their house they would have little cereals for breakfast that I could choose from. They provided little kindnesses that mattered. There were numerous things my grandfather did that impacted me but I think most of all it was his posture towards me and his other grand children that made such a difference. He was selflessly involved in our lives. He was very attentive to our needs and development. Not in an, “I am responsible for your well-being sort of way,” but instead it was more like, “if I can sacrifice some to help you then I will do it. I enjoy being a part of your life.” He communicated both the kindness of God and the attentiveness of God that said to me I mattered, and I mattered to him. I remember one time he took me out to get sneakers and he wanted me to get ‘PF Flyers’ and I wanted the more expensive Nike or Converse (I can’t remember which ones). He said to me, “You don’t have to have the best sneakers to be a good athlete.” In my my prideful adolescent mind I thought, “You don’t have any idea what you are talking about.” I didn’t think my grandfather knew anything about sports because he never talked about himself. At the time I didn’t know he was a good athlete and that he played football for Rutgers or that his nickname was ‘Zip German.’ I didn't find that out until after he died. Although I wish I had heard more about his past while he was alive, what strikes me now was how he little he felt he had to impress me or make our relationship about him. His posture said, “Your life matters and not mine so much. I want to sacrifice so you find your way.” My first job was cutting his lawn and a neighbor’s lawn across the street when I was 13. I inherited the job from my cousin. I eventually grew the little business into about six lawns. He had me open a savings account so I could put money away. He got me little receipts and I started writing monthly invoices to my ‘clients.’ He took an active interest in making the little job about more. I also remember him working with me on my ‘Pinewood Derby’ car. We spent weeks on that little car and he took time to teach me little things along the way. He was so disappointed we didn’t win the race. We did however get 2nd or 3rd place for design. There were other things he did that struck me but again it was his posture. He was a humble man. I remember one time in high school he called me to come help him move some boxes. From the way he asked it seemed like there was a bunch of boxes. When I got to his house there where two little boxes he might have been able to move himself. When I was done he asked me if I wanted to stay for lunch which of course I did but I remember being taken back at the time that he just wanted to spend time with me. In this fallen world grandparents can be a great kindness. My grandfather was a caring and thoughtful man who at times mirrored a love much bigger than himself. When I think of my formative years and the people, events or things that helped my soul to find rest I remember my grandfather.

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

hi. finally made it to your blog... looking forward to reading your thoughts.